You made it to 2023, and that’s no small feat. You overcame your own challenges, you beat the odds, and you probably accomplished a lot more than you’d like to admit. But the 2022 Year in Review is no place to be modest! We’re here to celebrate the milestones and achievements of the entire Threadless Community, from the artists who amaze us every day to the fans who support them.
A lot happened in 2022. Hundreds of new Artist Shop owners joined our community. Artists submitted thousands of incredible new designs to our themed challenges. Jigsaw Puzzles, Yoga Mats, and other new additions to our catalog gave us more ways to support our favorite artists. Before they become a distance memory, let’s relive the highlights of 2022 and how YOU replayed a role in them.
2022 at a Glance | Top-Selling Artists | Top Emerging Artists | Bestselling Designs | Products You Loved Most | Charitable Impact | Design Challenges | Threadless in Retail Stores | Artists Speak
2022 at a Glance
NATHAN W. PYLE
NOODLE THE PUG
Top Emerging Artists
“FIND YOURSELF” BY KOOKY LOVE
“STAY POSITIVE” BY STEVEN RHODES
“RAINBOW CATS” BY PLANET CAT
“MIGRATION OF PAPER BIRDS” BY MAKART
Products You Loved Most
Spoiler alert. Good ol’ fashioned t-shirts were the top-selling product of 2022. Real original, folks! But when we take tees out of the equation, our data starts getting interesting…Take a look at the next five best-selling products, and we’ll guess why you liked them so much. Deal? Deal.
Top Sellers (That Aren’t Tees)
- Stickers: They’re fun to stick everywhere—laptops, notebooks, telephone poles, bathroom stalls. Please stick responsibly!
- Pullover Hoodies: There’s a reason people never give them back after breakups. They’re an absolute wardrobe essential.
- Sweatshirts: They’re cozy, great for layering, and you can dress them up or down. Versatility is your friend.
- Mugs: Most of us can’t function in the morning without coffee. And it isn’t socially acceptable yet to drink it right out the carafe.
- Art Prints: They’re made from premium, gallery-quality materials, yet they’re surprisingly affordable.
Featured Designs: “BananaCat” by PlanetCat” | “Cryptids Crew” by sachpica | “Love More” by RunningDog | “Stay Rad” by Vincent Trinidad | “Extreme Blood Drive” by TheWestwood | “Toad” by catscafecomics | “Journey” by Jack Teagle
New to the Threadless Catalog
- Jigsaw Puzzles: They’re a classic pastime and a great gift for children and adults alike. Available in 120, 252, and 500 piece counts.
- Yoga Mats: They’re made from natural, eco-friendly PU rubber and have a skid-resistant bottom to prevent slipping and sliding. Safety first.
- Premium Rugs: Their vibrant print designs really tie the room together and they have a coated backing that resists bunching.
- Vintage Wash T-Shirts: Love the throwback aesthetic? Then you’ll appreciate this style’s retro look and feel and unique color options.
Featured Designs: “Fireworks” by Lissy Marlin | “Space Cats” by vivihnic | “Abstract Modern Jungle 52C” by mmartabc | “The Outdoor Mix” by Belgrave
Threadless Causes is our community’s way of harnessing our creative powers to spread good throughout the world. How does it work? Threadless artists donate a percentage of their earnings from any designs they select in their Artist Shop to a Cause and charity of their choice. When you buy those designs, Threadless matches the donation and automatically sends it to the charity. The Causes you can support range from Racial Injustice to Humanitarian Aid.
Since Causes began in 2020, our community has collectively donated more than $685,000 to nonprofit organizations helping people in need, animals, and the environment. We’re incredibly grateful for everyone who’s joined our community’s fundraising efforts, from participating artists to anyone who’s ever purchased a Causes design. Your generosity amazes us!
Charities That Received the Most Donations in 2022
- Medshare delivers surplus medical supplies and equipment to communities in crisis around the globe.
- Fair Fight combats voter suppression across the US by addressing issues such as long lines at polling stations.
- Black Lives Matter builds local power to intervene in violence inflicted on Black communities by the state and vigilantes.
- The Trevor Project provides crisis intervention and suicide prevention services for members of the LGBTQIA+ community under 25.
New Charities You Can Support
- National Network of Abortion Funds works to remove financial and logistical barriers to abortion access.
- The Center for Reproductive Rights uses the power of law to advance reproductive rights as fundamental human rights.
- Everytown for Gun Safety works with local, federal, and state governments to enact policies that reduce gun violence.
- Sandy Hook Promise aims to take meaningful actions in schools, homes, and communities to prevent gun violence.
- Voice of Children Ukraine provides psychological and psychosocial support to children affected by war.
In 2022, artists from around the globe put their skills to the test in 17 different Design Challenges including Cottagecore, Grow STEM presented by Intel, and the officially licensed Care Bears challenge. These themed challenges are a fun way for artists to step out of their comfort zone and expose their art to the greater Threadless Community.
Plus, you can help us select the winners and elevate your favorite artists by scoring submissions. It’s a Threadless tradition that’s lasted over 20 years! Here are some eye-catching Design Challenge stats from 2022.
Thank you to everyone who submitted and scored designs, and congrats to all the winners! Now let’s take a look at the Design Challenges that engaged our community the most
Challenges with the Most Participation
Threadless in Retail Stores
Have you ever walked into Hot Topic or Target and noticed a t-shirt you’ve seen at Threadless? That’s no coincidence. Our team works with several third-party retail partners to open up retail and licensing opportunities for Threadless artists, helping them to earn more with their art. In 2022, Threadless designs have been featured in online catalogs and brick-and-mortar stores by the following retail brands:
If you’re an artist who’s interested in potential retail opportunities, the first step is building your own Artist Shop.
One of the coolest parts of our jobs at Threadless is being able to interact with so many amazing artists and people who inspire us. We love picking their brains, learning about their creative processes, listening to their life stories, and hearing their constructive criticisms. Here are just a few of the ways we connected with artists in 2022.
These in-depth interviews on the Threadless Blog give us incredible insight into the career milestones and current projects of renowned artists in our community. Thanks to everyone who participated in our Artist Spotlights in 2022:
- Lissy Marlin, award-winning illustrator of The Magic Misfits
- Deya Muniz and Emily Erdos, creators of Blades of Furry
- Sweeney Boo, comic book artist
- Hattie Fellowes, found of The Violet Eclectic
- Jack Teagle, illustrator and painter
- Mykhailo Skop, cofounder of Help Ukraine
- Brad Phillips, artist and author of Essays and Fictions
- Gregg Deal, artist and member of the Pyramid Lake Paiute Tribe
Instagram Live Interviews
Eff it! We’ll do it live! Here are the awesome organizations and artists we had the pleasure of talking to on Instagram Live:
- The National Audubon Society
- Katie Mansfield, Tragic Girls founder
- Rob Sheridan, glitch artist
- Cliff Chiang, creator of Paper Girls
- Sophie McTear, illustrator and graphic designer
- Aaron Reynolds, author of Effin’ Birds
- Curious Publishing and Actually Curious
- Texas Equal Access Fund and artist Elizabeth Hudy (The Peach Fuzz)
Shop Owner Testimonials
That closes the 2022 Year in Review! A heartfelt thanks to everyone in the Threadless Community, from Artist Shop owners to fans who support independent artists, for another memorable year. We can’t wait to see everything we’ll accomplish together in 2023.